What is gynaecology?
Gynaecology is the study of the female reproductive system, its functions, disorders and diseases comes under the heading of gynaecology.
This can include complaints ranging from menstrual problems to uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and cervical polyps. Consultant gynaecologists can also provide advice on contraception and disorders of early pregnancy.
Common gynaecological operations include hysterectomy, laparoscopy and colposcopy.
Reasons to see a consultant gynaecologist
Some of the common concerns for seeing a gynaecologist are:
- Heavy periods
- Bleeding between periods
- Intermittent or irregular periods
- Abdominal or pelvic pain during or between periods
- Itching or burning
- Irregular discharge
Wide range of treatments
Nearly every woman will suffer from a gynaecological problem at some time in her life. It may not be life threatening, and may only affect them at certain times of the month, but it can still have an impact on their quality of life and ability to do everyday things.The Gynaecological Units at BMI Healthcare offer treatment for a wide range of conditions including:
- Gynaecological treatments
- Heavy periods (menorrhagia)
- Painful periods (dysmenorrhoea)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Uterine and endometrial polyps
- Vaginal and uterine prolapse
- Screening and treatment for cervical, ovarian, uterine and endometrial cancers
- Sexual health investigations and contraception
- HPV screening and vaccinations
The type of treatment you will receive will depend on your symptoms, your age and whether you wish to have children. Your consultant will assess your condition and give you an expert opinion. If further diagnostic tests or treatment are required, these will be explained fully during your consultation.
Common diagnostic tests:
- Pelvic examination
- Blood tests
- Ultrasound scan